Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hello, and welcome.

My first post.

To quote someone - I don't know who - "what a long strange journey it's been." For the hell of it, I'll give credit to Thomas Jefferson. I'm sure somewhere between raping his slaves and becoming President of the United States he threw that in there along the way.

I'm still not sure how or why I ended up here, but here I am. 27 years old, living in San Francisco, and loving every minute of my lame, stupid little life. As I'm sure most of you are still a tad perplexed by the title of this blog, I suppose I'll start by explaining what the title represents to me, and what you can expect to see from me in the coming months (and hopefully, years).

The aim of this blog is to give a voice to those of us in our twenties trying to live a life outside of the paradox that has been the "Gen-Y" label. We've been told we have a ridiculous sense of entitlement (true). We've been forced - by our own actions and by the actions of our society as a whole - to go to college, live off our parents, and for the majority of us, move back home once we have completed the task we were told "would change our lives." Sure. It changed our lives alright.

For the majority of twenty-somethings, it taught us how to drink (a lot), party (a lot), and to disrespect and distrust authority (a whole lot)..."entitled"? Never...What it didn't do was track and prepare us for the "real world". No, I'm not talking about the MTV reality show - although how sweet would that be, right? You know just as well as I do that each and every one of us has wished/wishes we could be on that show "to have our lives taped. To find our what happens, when people stop being polite, and start being real..." Sadly, this image of "reality" is so fucking warped that we as a collective generation have been let down when we find out life doesn't reflect the images and portrayals that are shoved down our throats by the media.

Nope. What we have now is a vast number of us hitting the so-called "quarter-life crisis". Living at home, barely making rent, trying to find a solid job - let alone a career that will someday make us enough money to retire and live happily ever-after - and someone in there still living it up enough to look back on these years as the "best of our lives".

My goal in this blog is to share my journey. The awesome, the shitty, the serious, and the memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment