Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Damn it.

I generally like to keep this blog fairly upbeat and fun. However, today I learned that one of my Facebook friends, whom I haven't seen or spoken to in probably 10-12 years, was involved in a fatal DUI crash over the 4th of July weekend. He was not killed. He was the one driving under the influence (of alcohol and potentially crack cocaine). At least one person in the other car was killed, more may have died due to their injuries.

This is sad and angering but it's something that happens everyday. It doesn't have to. There is never a reason to put yourself and/or other people in danger because you had too much to drink. Though he didn't die, his life is ruined. He will forever have to live with the fact that his actions took the life of someone else, and the families of the person who died will forever be changed.

Please make intelligent decisions out there. Call a cab, call a friend, walk...there are a million other options out there. Use them. I am fortunate to live in San Francisco where I can walk, cab, or BART it anywhere I need to be. Not all of us have these same luxuries so I appeal to you to please be smart when making weekend/evening plans. While we may never know who else is out there, we can all make an effort to keep ourselves and our friends off the roads when we/they have had too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment